Friday, December 21, 2012

Brit men vs Brit women?

Why is it that British men have a good -very good I would say- sense of fashion regardless of their urban tribe, but British women just don't seem to get it?

Sorry, pretty harsh and probably not a good start but I will explain myself (although I am not counting on getting a clapping crowd). 

I have always been amazed at those women in the tube, mostly Anglosaxon looking, not wearing tights or socks in the freezing weather, open seams with loose threads hanging down the back of their skirts, or those vomit- yellow coloured scarves. And what about the poor little kids wearing clothes three or four sizes too big, their hair never having seen a comb, dressed in the same vomit- yellow colour as their mums?

So I found myself developing a hypothesis which I secretely hoped would end up being a big pile of prejudice-based rubbish.  But it is with a heavy heart that I have to admit that it has turned into a very reliable theory:


"British women do not have much style"

If you go to London, do this little experiment: visit the well displayed exhibition at the Victoria & Albert Museum, "Ballgowns: British Glamour Since 1950"  and do the same with "Valentino: Master of Couture" at Somerset House. And make up your own mind.

Or, if you want to do an easier, cheaper and more contemporary exercise, check out Topshop on Oxford Street and afterwards, Zara on Regent Street. Enough said

1 comment:

  1. How about the opinions of non-spanish men? While I do find Spanish women to be on average more "stylish" than their UK counterparts, I do respond well to the occasional bared, pasty-white midriff on the Northern line in February!

    ReplyDelete

Gracias! I like that you took the time to comment on my posts. TSS